Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Start screen IS the Start menu

My tests on Windows 8 earlier in the year were very minimal. Just a quick "see if our software installs and runs". I didn't think much of it after that. When I was asked to setup a couple of systems, I did a lot more research to get ready. One of the most frequent complaints or workarounds talked about was the "missing start menu" and how to put one back.

My use of the start menu may be non-typical. Since the switch to Vista I have become a huge fan of the Quicksilver-like search feature. I was equally pleased to have a similar feature appear on Ubuntu. When I need a calculator, I press the windows key and type calc, and press enter. When I need the word processor, I press the windows key, type word, and press enter. I do have a few quick launch items that I click on the task bar to launch, but that's the basic workflow. I haven't navigated into a nested start menu for quite some time.

To me the Windows 8 Start Screen is like a big horizontal start menu with no nested folders and a dashboard at the same time. The search feature is not at all obvious like it is in Vista and Windows 7, but it is there. Just start typing and you go into search mode. Being such a search fan, I think this will work for me.

I finished out the setup of the tech support system including the installation of a couple of our software packages and arranging their tiles on the Start screen to demo the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment